Charming recreational cabin on a private remote 2.2 acre island located on Lake of the Woods, Ontario, Canada. It is 20 miles by boat from the nearest road, but adjacent to the buoyed East Track between Kenora and Sioux Narrows, ON, which makes it relatively easy to find in the maze of surrounding islands. The rustic, but comfortable off-the-grid cabin has hot water, solar power, gas fridge, stove and range, hot shower, cell service and satellite Internet/WiFi. It is located in prime fishing grounds in a beautiful and remote part of the photogenic lake and the landscape offers countless other opportunities for canoeing, camping, swimming, sailing, other water sports and more.
Despite a few scattered neighbors and periodic passing boats, it offers profound solitude surrounded by a vast, untamed boreal environment. It is perfect for adventurous people with a background of camping or backpacking who would enjoy a similar experience with many of the comforts of home.
The island has a main cabin and a boathosue with an upstairs guest room. The whole cabin and the upstairs of the boathouse are available to guests. Between the 2 areas there are 2 bedrooms with 5 beds (King, queen, 2 twins) plus a futon in the living room. The cabin has the master bedroom with a king bed, and a the futon in the living room. In the boathouse guest room there is a queen bed and 2 twin beds. Additionally there are beautiful tent sites scattered across the island and the cabin and kitchen are big enough to feed and serve up to ten people, with a spacious living room centered around a hearty wood stove. It has every element for a perfect vacation for experienced outdoor travelers but it is not the perfect place for everyone. Good communication with the owners is important before booking.
A visit to our island is a rare opportunity to stay in a genuine wilderness environment with many of the comforts of home. Time here can be relaxing, peaceful and adventurous, with little evidence of the modern world except for occasional passing boats. However, it's very remote and important to be well-prepared, self-reliant and know exactly what you are getting into before you embark. We provide guests with a detailed users guide but a few things to be aware of before you book:
- The island is extremely remote and accessible only by boat! You must have/rent your own boat and be comfortable navigating far out on Lake of the Woods. Even if you are familiar with the area, detailed marine charts are necessary and GPS is recommended.
- Power, hot water, and internet must be used in moderation. The cabin is family-built and completely off-the-grid with custom utilities that run off of limited solar power and filtered water pumped up from the lake. It's necessary to conserve power, using only what you need and limit hot water usage by taking short showers and rinsing dishes with cold water. Although the tap water is filtered several times, it is not purified and must be boiled before drinking. We provide several jugs of filtered water to each group.
- The camp is swept and stocked after each group, but it is a wilderness cabin that’s 40 years old. There is some ground-in dirt from years of use.
- The internet is a satellite connection that can be very slow at times and stop working entirely during bad weather. Additionally the modem and router use a lot of power and is only meant to be turned on when in use, not left on all the time. It is for basic communication and online chores only and does not support video streaming or high-speed internet activities. There is decent cell service on the island and we highly recommend you use your mobile phone as a hot spot if possible. It's both faster and more reliable.
- There is no one around to "warm-up" the place before you arrive. You will need to unlock the doors, turn on the power and light the pilot lights for the refrigerator and hot water heater when you arrive. We provide a detailed users guide that walks you through these steps and are happy to answer any questions.
- There is power and running water in the cabin but NOT in the guest room above the boathouse. We provide a number of solar and battery lanterns as well as jugs and pitchers for water to use in the guest room.
- To avoid pests and wildlife getting in, we don't keep food in the cabin. You will need to bring everything you will need with you. Refrigerator, freezer and cooler space is limited. In order to have a fun and successful stay it's necessary to plan carefully to use this space wisely. Even with careful planning it's difficult to stay longer than 7 days without resupply from town. We have a suggested shopping list, an inventory of what's available in the camp and are happy to help you plan out your stay.
You have the island entirely to yourself! We are available to help in any way we can via phone, email or text, however you are on your own out on the lake and must be self-reliant.
Fishing cabin and camp sites on a remote island in Lake of the Woods+ More