Avoid this mold trap!
Typically, the places we stay on Hawaii, which we have rented through VRBO, leave me hard-pressed to describe how much like paradise they actually were. This is not the case with "Breeze of Paradise." I find myself searching for words that will adequately capture the disgust, anger, and disappointment that we experienced at the so-called Breeze of Paradise. It is far from any version of paradise any of us could imagine. Upon entering the home, each of us (4 adults) was overcome with the odor of mold and mildew. It turns out that mold is growing under the paint, on walls and in crevices (see our pictures). If the paint job was intended to mask or solve the mold and mildew problem, then the owner's solution was a failure. Aside from the cosmetic and odor issues created by the mold, there is the fact that the condition of house itself represents a health hazard. One of our party is very sensitive to mold, and wondered how a vacation rental could be advertised to the public without an allergy/health warning. I am not allergic to mold but I found myself needing to sleep in the L/R because I could hardly breathe in one of bedrooms using the pillows and linens supplied with the house. The pillows exuded the smell of mold and mildew. In fact, all the towels and linens are odorous. There were two large dehumidifiers present--one in each bedroom. They could not keep up with the moisture. Then there's the issue of the lack of heat. We knew there was practically no heat--just the two space heaters and a fireplace in the l/r. We were undaunted by the description--two of our party are from northern Minnesota: the nation's ice-box, and accustomed to daily fire building from Fall through Spring. But there was no kindling and the damp firewood, which was supplied, made starting a fire with "fire starters" difficult. The dampness exacerbated the cool temperatures and plunged the house into a bone-chilling cold. We were already using the dehumidifiers, but only one of the two heaters worked. And the cord and plug of the one that did work got distressingly warm. Our complaints with the rental are many, but well documented by our pictures in many cases. Forgive my reliance on a bullet list, but we really accumulated a list of what was wrong: • the odor, which was in and through anything and everything soft--sheets, towels, pillows...yuck! • the whole place needed a deep cleaning • toaster: it barely toasted the first English muffin, while burning the fourth

January 2017
Breeze Of Paradise 2 Bedroom/2 Bath Home In Volcano Village
Breeze Of Paradise 2 Bedroom/2 Bath Home In Volcano Village
Back to Listing