Enjoy Quaint Cabin perfect for accommodating up to 4 guests , Nestled in between large trees , this cabin has the basic amenities to enjoy a relaxing, quiet get-away. There's a kitchen with refrigerator , stove ,and Microwave Oven. Cabin includes gas fireplace , WiFi and basic cable Located within walking distance from the Cabin are scenic trails and fire roads with endless views for hiking and mountain biking. Or drive ten minutes down to Calaveras Big Trees State Park for hiking and cross country skiing. Great swimming at White Pines Lake in Arnold. Bring your canoe or kayak and paddle Utica, Spicer and Alpine lakes. Bear Valley Ski Resort and Bear Valley Cross Country Ski Resort are just 20 minutes up the hill on Highway 4. Cottage is 5 miles up from the main town of Arnold where there is grocery shopping, gas stations, banks, etc. Murphys is 30 minutes away - a gold rush town known for their excellent wineries, great restaurants, boutique shops and antique shops.
The Stanislaus River is approximately five miles down the road. The day use area has picnic tables, barbecues and provides easy access into the river. Excellent place to have a picnic, fly fish or cool off with a nice swim.
A Short History of Camp Connell
The area known today as Camp Connell was first used by Native Americans thousands of years ago. Its location on San Antonio Creek was along a trading route between bands of Miwok, Piute, and Washoe, as well as being a popular summer encampment.
The discovery of gold in the Mokelumne and Stanislaus River basins in 1848 led to large numbers of prospectors and adventurers following the old Indian trail over the Sierra to the southern gold fields. The route between Murphys and Carson City became famous when the Calaveras North Grove of Big Trees was discovered in 1852. The Big Trees - Carson Valley Road was improved in 1856 and by 1857 much of the immigration into California came over this road. Not long after that, the area of Camp Connell became a junction of roads between Sheep Ranch and San Andreas and was a favorite stopping point and rest area on the route.
The Camp Connell of today was largely influenced by the surging popularity of auto travel through the mountains inspired when Dr. D. Sargent of Angels Camp became the first to drive an automobile over Ebbetts Pass in 1908. Family camping was destined to become an extremely popular recreational activity. To meet those demands, Jack Connell began construction of a campground, cabins, general store and gas pumps in 1928. He and his wife named their endeavor "Camp Connell". Opened for business in 1929, the general store and gas station have been in operation ever since. The Connell's continued to expand the store and added a café to serve the increasing number of visitors. By 1934 the Post Office was moved to the store and became "Camp Connell Station". The store was a local gathering place where local residents and vacationers alike would come to share news and leave messages, much as it is today. Occasionally, Circuit Court was convened in the building. Monte Wolfe, Art and Harry Schimke, the Whittles, Hunts, Tryons, Lombardis, and Airolas were frequent visitors.
While the popularity of the general store and café continued, the campground was closed in 1949 and the property was subdivided into lots selling for $600 each. The cabins remained as part of Camp Connell until the 1960's, when the highway was realigned to accommodate the ski resort and village at Bear Valley, as well as the development of Big Trees Village. The old highway became the current two accesses to Camp Connell and the property has stayed much the same ever since.
Today the Camp Connell General Store is one of the oldest Chevron stations in California as well as the longest continuously operated retail business between Murphys and Markleeville. It is a popular stop for visitors and a cherished part of the local community.+ More